Sunday, August 3, 2014

Food Truck Event - Lake Mary: Curbies, Lahteeno and Ice Cream Social Club

I went to a food truck event at the Heathrow Raquet Club on Wednesday night. It was open to the public. I tried three trucks. The other was a grilled cheese truck and that truck that doesn't serve lobster.

Curbies Sidewalk Cafe - The guy seemed nice enough, but, the "Grouper" Rueben was terrible. I really doubt it was grouper. It was a full filet. Aren't groupers huge? Why do people insist on perpetuating this fraud on the American public. Is grouper that special? If you can't afford to make a profit in it, just don't have it on your menu. I'm sure most people could care a less if you serve snapper or salmon or goldfish instead. Not that I really know what grouper tastes like because it's always something else in reality. The fish I had had a tiny bone in it. I'd guess some junk fresh water fish like Swai. I saw some whitish silver skin in one area. It wouldn't have mattered anyway. It was beyond frozen. It tasted (if that was a taste) of freezer burn. It was also over seasoned with blackened seasoning. It's a bitter (and a should be outlawed) concoction used to mask offensive or non flavor to begin with. It's worse when the cook burns the spices while cooking it. It should be taken off the menu. It cost $10 and came with some limp, half cooked french fries.

Lahteeno Food Truck - I had a Alcapurria that was ground beef in a very fried (brown) corn masa and chicken empanada combo for $5. At least they didn't break the bank. They tasted like every other ones I've had. I posit that this is because they are all bought pre-made from the same source (a mass supplier). No flavors except salt. Terrible.

Ice Cream Social Club - This was strike three. He serves ice cream created from liquid nitrogen. Sounds cool. Tastes terrible. Like chalk and the texture is nasty. He bragged about doing it this way. Isn't this just Dipping Dots in non dot form? Thank God it only cost $3 for a cone-less scoop.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I apologize that your meal with us did not meat your expectations. I wish you would have brought it to my attention. I would have gladly made you another one or given you a refund.

Grouper has a distinct flavor. If you doubt it's grouper you could ask to see a label or tag, which we keep.

Curbie's Sidewalk Cafe