Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Grub Crawl - Winter Park: Pi Hole (Closed), B Cupcakes, Rome's Flavour's and Frenchy's (Closed)

I sampled these restaurants on Sunday afternoon.

Pi Hole - They took over a previous pizzeria location across from Keke's. This is a transplant of an operation that I ate in in Plymouth Mass. Their gimmick is a pre-grilled pie dough with a hole in the middle. If you buy pie, you get a bowl of "bites" in the middle. I'm sorry, but, $20 for a plain cheese pie is ridiculous even if it comes with junk. It's not particularly good pizza either. I had their lunch special - a soda and one slice for $4. That was reasonable. Usually it is two slices and a soda for $5 or $6, so this is good for bargain shoppers. The slice was almost two slices in size anyway. The dough was a little dry and flourish. I think they didn't add enough water when they mixed it. The cheese was a low quality blend of what I would guess would be non-traditional pizza cheeses. They have non-Italian fare like wings, waffle fries, mac and cheese bites, etc. They have Italian dishes like arancini (balls made out of day old rice) and meatballs. The place is small. It may seat 15. It's very red with a big mirror on one wall. Service was friendly.

B Cupcakes - They are across from Pita Pit near the 7-11. It seemed like every cupcake had the same white cream topping. I had a strawberry because strawberry shortcake is one of the only things I like a frosting like this on. It was ok. The cupcake seemed like a brown sugar/molasses type cake that you associate with carrot cake or zucchini bread. It seemed to be the cake for alot of the other cakes. I think they just add a piece of fruit or other topping to a generic cake and call that by the topping. It cost $3. It was a very moist (lots of sugar) cake. The other branch is in Apopka.

Rome's Flavour's - They just (1 month) opened next to the Qwa Qwa Shop (that's what my brother calls croissants) on E Morse (off Park). I had a cup of three balls of gelato. I had pineapple, mixed berry and strawberry for $5. All were top notch. The pine and mixed were really good. Real, big pieces of actual fruit. The scoops are smallish, but, pack alot of flavor. They also gave me a taste of a good gorgonzola and honey gelato. I originally thought I'd just walk out when I saw that read their menu and saw that a glass of gelato started at $8 and a pizza "paddle" was $9. However, they have a part of the paddle special and I think the gelato was as low as $3-ish for a small. They should clarify that printed menu. They also have bruschetta, panzanella and alot of "assortment" plates. I lived around the corner from the original Sant Ambroeus in NYC and I may like this gelato better. The place is chic and the owners are Roman, so with that and the quality of the gelato and the transitive property, I would extrapolate that the rest of the menu won't suck or be inauthentic. Give it a go.

Frenchy's - Sweet Traditions moved here (near Briarpatch) from Winter Garden and opened a bakery. They closed that down a few month ago and now have a fully functioning French bistro. I just had a Cinnamon Roll/Swirl ($2) that was a bit dry for something that looked like it was repurposed from the croissant dough, but, the menu seemed intriguing and reasonably priced. They do B,L,D. The chef is French. He uses at least one master chef's recipe (I won't out him). Kudos for being aware of him. They still have part of a pastry window. They seemed to have spent a little money on the redo. The most unfortunate thing is their name. It sounds like something a Florida born person might think that other people would think is funny. It's just low brow. Maybe that plays in WG, but, Park Ave expects panache. They will probably just think it's not an authentic or serious French experience. I have it on the "retry" list.


No comments: