Sunday, August 3, 2014

Wekiva Island, Longwood

I went to this bar/park on Saturday afternoon based on an article by the bald guy at the Sentinel. He wrote it a couple of weeks back. I thought it would be the usual let down. It wasn't. It was pretty great. Now you have to lower your expectations to a point where you expect to have to deal with the great unwashed at one of their alligator farms. There is some of that, but, it's better. You have to take (I think it's Wekiva Springs Rd) the road that connects 434 to 436. The one with Wekiva Springs Park on it. It's right near there. It's on Miami Springs Rd (near the shopping center). You drive a couple of hundred yards down at you hit a dead end. If there is room in the parking lot (they had a sign that said the lot was full, but, it wasn't) you make a right.

They charge a whole dollar to enter (zero for parking). You get a spot on the river where they; rent canoes, paddle boards and kayaks, offer "cabanas" (tented area), free chairs, volleyball, fishing, a food truck and three bars. I had a pulled pork and brisket sandwich from the truck for $9. The brisket was bad. The rest was ok. They had some covered picnic tables to eat your food at.

My first order at the bar (had a hangover and don't usually like to drink in the afternoon) was a Diet Coke. They only charged $1! Same for bottled water. I drank that and then looked around. It was a very representative crowd. I think that women were required to have tattoos. Still, not unexpected for Florida. I didn't bring sunscreen and I had underwear on under my swim suit, so, I decided I would have one drink and leave. I had an artisan beer that was only $3.50. I drank that. I engaged in some chit chat and decided that my party night was now going to be a party day. Subdued party day. There were cops around.

I went back the car and got my towel and changed in the bathroom (they need a changing room) and had one more beer and watched some TV. I then jumped in and out of the muddy river whenever I got hot. It wasn't French Polynesia, but, it was water. For a non-native, the river flora is still charming. The weather was perfect. Canoes, etc glided down the river in a perpetual people parade. The attendees were mostly well behaved and friendly. It was a great afternoon. Like a day at summer camp. I would have liked some lockers so I didn't have to watch my bag. When I felt my non-lotioned skin purpling, I grabbed another beer or two at the bar and made some more chit chat. They gave me one free because of a mis-communication. It was less crowded at six-ish. The crowd became a little older around then. Then night started to fall so I quit while I was ahead.

I heard that they just rebuilt the structures after a fire. They have a building that was closed for a private event that I think they said was the nicest area. The area I was in was really nice. It's all brand new. It has that "bric a brac on the walls" decor. The structures are wood. It's open, but, they have serious fans. You won't feel the heat. They had more than enough bar tenders. They were always attentive and friendly. They have a really nice, enclosed wine bar connected to the "tiki" bar.

I know you are skeptical, but, I'm telling you that it's nice. They told me that they get a crowd around 10pm although they close at 11pm. They are open every day. I'm going back at night and probably anytime I don't feel like driving to the beach. I suggest you do so too. It's easy breezy. You can bring your own gear too. You can even drop a boat in the water. Canoes, etc were only $10 for the whole day.

No comments: