Saturday, August 23, 2014

Grub Crawl - Lake Mary: Chez Jacqueline and Lighthouse Seafood

I went to these spots on Friday afternoon. They are in an ancient strip mall across from City Hall (Country Club Dr and Lake Mary Blvd).

Chez Jacqueline - They have been open for four years and I've even driven past a few times. Their signage is so absent that I thought it was closed every time. I had a croissant with Swiss and ham for $4 and an apple crepe for $5. A soda was $1. The croissant was perfect and although the cheese could have stood a little more time in the reheater, it and the ham were fine. Not a very pungent Swiss. The crepe was large and bursting with fresh apple pieces. They laced it with a little cinnamon (asked first if I wanted it) and powdered sugar. The place serves mainly pastries and crepes. Some items may be out of stock. I think that is called being "seasonal" now. It's authentic. It seats ten on five two seaters. It's decorated like an old lady's sitting room. It was full (all ten) of ladies. Service was polite if a little slow. The owner seem to be the main employee. She is French (or speaks it). I'd certainly go back again.

Lighthouse Seafood - They are right next door to Jacqueline. I think they opened around the same time. I wasn't impressed on my first visit, but, I think their selection and curb appeal has increased since then. They also have poor signage. I think it just said "seafood". I wasn't really looking to get something, but, I felt intoxicated because the girl who served me at Chez Jacqueline knew (or pretended to know) who Jean Jacque Rousseau was. I had a choice really of poke or soup. I chose the poke although I feel about this like I feel about ceviche. Just give me the raw fish. You kind of always ruin it your way. This, however, was good. Sesame oil, scallions, white onion, sesame seeds, something with a kick and 25 dice sized chucks of fresh ahi. It made my thumb and little finger stick out, Howley. It cost $12. But, let's compare. A pound of their sushi grade (this stuff) ahi was $24. I think they said this was half a pound. so, you get the veg and oil and prep for free (if you don't discount that weight). It came with that seaweed salad you get at sushi bars. They called it limu (I think). Your average sushi at a supermarket would cost $7 for the rolls with a tenth of the fish and $10+ for a quarter. I'd go here if you want a sashimii-like experience. They didn't even try and pass off the tail (dental floss) pieces on me. I was pleasantly surprised and would go back again. I think they change up the specials, so, don't kill me if they don't have this dish when you go.

No comments: