Sunday, August 10, 2014

Smokey Joe's, Sanford - Closed

I had a brisket sandwich to go at this barbeque restaurant on Rinehart Rd (across from the Mercedes dealership) today. It cost $9. The meat was dry, tough and flavorless. There was no bark. I think they pre-cut (not on the diagonal) the meat and keep it in a broth bath. This "short cut" ends up giving the beef the characteristics of boiled beef. They said they smoke it all night long. Let's hope that this (bath) is the reason for the sub-standard product and they discontinue the process. It's not like there was a lunch rush. I also think they use the lean side of the brisket. My cuts were very lean. Just some nodules and spines of hard fat on the exterior. It came with a sweet barbeque sauce that seemed store bought. I didn't eat the buttered bun, but, it looked ok. They offer pork, chicken and burgers. They couldn't identify which region their barbeque represents. They have fried tenders and wings and potatoes. The side selection is basic. They opened up a few days ago. They did hardly anything to the interior (Boston Fish House). They added some collages of found art/junk. It's a self service sort of place. They seem nice enough, but, I just smell failure in the air. Maybe it's the fact that it took them months to open their doors and they didn't really have to do anything. Forget to get some permits/inspections? I just smell first time, non-experienced owners that will not have prepared properly for the challenges of owning a restaurant. The food will also have to improve. Right now it's as bad as Woody's and nowhere close to 4 Rivers. As I recommended in my review of the aforementioned, drive the extra exit to 4 Rivers. These pretenders aren't even cheaper.

No comments: