Friday, December 19, 2014

Magic Wok, Universal

I finally found my initial objective on Sunday. I drove right past it. It's not as hard to find as I made it. It is in that first strip mall after you cross the turnpike after Kirkman on Conroy. They have been there since 2002. It is supposed to have some of the most authentic Shanghai food in town. I was already full-ish and the menu seemed about 50% too high, so, I just settled on some Steamed Shrimp dumplings for $6 and Sticky Wrap Rice with Fried Dough and Pork Sung Filling for $6. I love the first and the second was on the "authentic" side of the menu. The dumplings were disappointing. I've had this exact mixture of shrimp paste and tiny pieces of whole shrimp before. So often that I think it is mass produced. The wrappers were also a little chewy. The (2) rice wraps were good. The pork is dried and shredded. The place seats about forty. It's your typical Chinese sit down. They aren't trying to wow you with ambiance. It has a fish tank with those weird fish that look more like eatables than pets. The owners (seemed to be the staff) were very nice. My main complaint is that the food better be 50% better if they are going to charge like they do. Obviously, they haven't priced themselves out of the market. I'm just speaking as how the world should work if it were just. Hey, It might very well be worth the premium. I will have to check back.

No comments: