Sunday, December 7, 2014

Pig Floyd's Urban Barbakoa, Mills Ave

The king is dead. Long live the king. I never thought I'd speak those words, but, 4 Rivers has been dethroned. This new restaurant on Mills is not only the best barbeque et al spot in CF, I think it would do well in a national competition. It's the brainchild of the Treehouse Food Truck (never tried it) ownership. It blends traditional barbeque with Asian and Latin influences. I tried it out Saturday afternoon. I had a Big Floyd for $9.49. It was a sandwich with smoked brisket, pulled pork, sausage, citrus peanut slaw, bbq sauce on a Hawaiian roll. It came with fries. The brisket (3 pieces) was perfect (moist, tender, flavorful). The pork was moist. The sausage (often a dried out, caustic thing) was juicy and crumbly. The roll was the best of the type I have ever had. It was more croissant than roll. The slaw and sauce were great complements. The thing was so good I ate most of the meat with my fingers and then put the fat back in the sandwich and ate that with the remaining pieces of meat. And I'm a reluctant fat eater. Ask your wife. The fries could have been crunchier. There were some in my sandwich and I'm not sure if that was on purpose or not. They also have a cheese steak, and a bahn mi, and a brisket with egg, and plain pork and brisket sandwich. They also have four tacos. I had a great shrimp and sausage taco for $3.79. It was three medium sized shrimp (it would be better which chopped up large shrimp) and some chorizo like sausage out of the casing with a Mandarin Orange Sambal, Greek yogurt, mint and toasted almonds. It was delicious. They also have a butter chicken (tikka), an chicken al pastor and a pork belly taco. They also had daily specials like chili and a brisket taco. They add ribs and chicken to the combo plates. The sides are scant and Latin leaning, but, I don't go to a barbeque place for them any way. They have rice and beans, fried plantains, fried yuca, grilled corn on the cob, apple fennel slaw and grilled veggies. They have three desserts (interesting) and Mexican and regular sodas. The place looks great. There's alot of wood. The inside table tops are black and the seats are pewter. The outside patio tables are wood. The place was packed and was a Noah's ark of people. I saw hippies, hipsters, uniformed military, golden oldies, nuclear families and even a dog. You order at a counter and a wait person brings the food out. The most expensive thing is 3 lb rack of ribs for $23. However that is an outlier. The highest priced platter (brisket) is $14. Most stuff is under $10. It is a definite destination restaurant. I can't wait to go back.

No comments: