Sunday, December 7, 2014

Southern Moon, Curry Ford Rd

I had lunch at this barbeque joint next to Rogue Pub on Crystal Lake and Curry Ford Rd on Friday. It is run by the guys that had the Fork In The Road food truck. I wrote about them that they earned a 9 out of ten for creativity and 7 out of 10 for execution. That score hasn't improved. I had three other barbeque items this weekend. All were better than them. I would put them in the bottom half of their cohort. I had quarter pound servings of pulled pork ($2.59), brisket ($3.59) and pork belly ($3.59). The fat lady at The Sentinel said the brisket was juicy and tender. It was dry and way to smoky. The pulled pork tasted like it was over brined. The "juice" tasted like salt water, It was dry too. The pork belly seemed 100% smoked. Like a cold smoked salmon. You couldn't eat the skin. It was like a rind. The sauces were even worse. They have 5 and I tried 3. The Texas one tasted like gazpacho. The Carolina one was pure vinegar. The Memphis (I think) was red vinegar. Sodas also cost $3.50. They won't be brewing their own beer. The outside looks like an abandoned building. One sad sign that says BBQ. The place was empty and I just sensed desperation in air. The place looks nice inside and they have a bar. They just need to run down to Pig Floyd (review coming) and take a master class. Avoid.

No comments: