Friday, December 19, 2014

Shiraz Grill, I Drive - Closed

I finally found this Iranian restaurant on Westwood Blvd on Sunday. That's the road on I Drive after the convention center. You make a right and pass by that decrepit first strip mall and then look for a little office complex after a Best Western. It serves mainly skewered meat (chicken, lamb, beef). I had a stew called Khoresht-e Qoreh Sabzi for $15. It was made of sirloin steak, kidney beans, spinach, parsley, onions, fenugreek and dried lime. I ordered it to go. It was very black and bitter. The steak was tender. They give you a S load of basmati rice. I ate all the steak out the first night. And then I dumped some hot sauce I had left over from Nar last week and some chicken from my chicken quesadillas from Taco Bell and ate the rest on Monday (with the rice). That helped a little. I still don't have that Middle Eastern love of those bitter desert herbs. I haven't looked up fenugreek yet. I wonder if it is mache? This was only my second Iranian meal, so, I probably still dig the novelty and pull my punches. This is the only Iranian restaurant in town, so, I am afraid you will have to get your ass over here if you want to sample what they do. The place is big. It seats over 100. Lots of big tables. I would guess Iranians eat as a group. The guy at the Orlando Weekly is full chub over it.

*A place with the same name is now open near UCF on Alafaya. Not sure if it the same owner.

No comments: