Tuesday, October 13, 2015

al Fresco, Winter Garden - Closed

I had lunch at this Mediterranean/Italian place behind the theater off Plant St on Saturday. Did you know Mediterranean means middle earth/land in Greek? They thought they were the center of the world back then. I wish this place disappointed and then I could use that bit of trivia to make a snarky point. Alas, after a bit of a hiccup in the table assignment department (they tried to put me in direct sunlight), I had a nice meal here. I came here once and it was closed (weekday lunch? I forget). And again on a Sunday - overpriced buffet brunch. So, I was ready to be pissy. I ordered the cheapest thing because I had little confidence in the outcome and there was a street fair with food trucks/stalls down the street. Man was I surprised. Side note - why do I always have to anticipate the worst in life to get the best? What is the cosmic assholery that allows/demands this? End side note. I had a falafel wrap with a faro salad for $9. The falafels were made skinny so they fit in the pita and didn't require you to dislodge your jaw like a snake (or some girls we know - am I right fellas?) to bite into. They were freshly fried and not dry. There were some cukes, etc in there and some good hummus. Side note - I still think it is funny that hummus had become so popular with this whole war on Islam thing going on - end side note. They even grilled the tortilla (it wasn't lavosh). The faro was mixed with arugula, black olives, red peppers and cukes (maybe tomato and onion). The veg were fresh and the faro was plump. Faro is way better than couscous if this was a riff on tabouli. They gave refills. The menu has a little bit of everything. They even try fish. The room is L shaped. The stick part of the L is a little extraneous. It borders the "peek in" kitchen and they put some table tops down the hall. The main area borders a bar and seats about 40. I think I recall a patio. The ambiance isn't transporting, but, it is nice. Yellow tones. It has been open for 3 years. They have a ton of staff. They seem to "give a turkey" as The Bandit always says. It's a good choice if you are in town.

No comments: