Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Oudom, Thornton Park - Closed

I was slated to try another new restaurant in the area, but, I didn't like their attitude. I stumbled upon this replacement for that corner spot on 100 South Eola Dr. It's now a Thai/Sushi spot. It opened less than a month ago. I hadn't heard or read anything about it. I balled and had their steak tartare (because it was so out of place) and their Triple Flavor Crispy Boneless Duck (because of my recent harangue over Thai predictability). The tar was $11 and the duck was $19. At the high end of their section of the menu. The tartare was good. At tad mustardy. They laid it on a bed of cabbage and carrots. I'm not sure if it was meant to be incorporated into the beef, but, it was a nice twist when I did it. The beef cut was chunky. A huge portion (maybe because it was that or let it spoil). The duck was a fail. They fried it and then dumped sauce on it. Guess what happened. The crispy duck became mushy duck. They served a half of duck (sans wings and drums). It was tasty. The breast was a little tough. Lots of uneatable skin. The rice was clumpy and soft. Overcooked. I was full, but, I had to try the sushi for you folks. I had one order of yellowtail for $5. The fishy was soft. The cut thin. The rice was packed too tight. The rice was average to below average in general. Service was ok. They did barely anything to the decor. It was nice to begin with though. Side note - why are they constantly redoing perfectly beautiful spaces when so many other spaces are in need of a make over. End note. They corralled everyone into the bar area. The hostess' screaming kids ran around. It was a sparse crowd that seemed mainly to be friends/family. I applaud the chances they are taking. I'd prefer some extra Thai stuff rather than Japanese or Chinese (or French) recipes. Re-invent it if you have to. Inspect what the sushi guy is doing too. Pricing was good for the area. Room to improve. Never found out what Oudom means. The tap water was undrinkable.

No comments: