Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Merk's Bar and Grill, New Smyrna Beach

I had dinner at this "local's fav" restaurant across from Outriggers on Sunday. (from NSB) You go over the draw bridge to the North Causeway. I almost left. It was jammed with drunks watching football. The staff seemed to be oblivious to my existence. In about fifteen minutes, I got a menu and my order in. I tried the snapper sandwich to confirm my suspicion that Pop Thai subbed out my snapper when I ate there. Suspicion confirmed! This time I got real snapper. Red snapper. A big piece. Clean tasting. Perfectly cooked. I didn't even eat the bun. That would have been an insult to the fish. It cost $12. It came with a side. I chose home made potato chips. Another winner. Needless to say I was stunned. Locals have told me about this place, but, I was way sceptical when I saw a menu that all but mirrored the ordinary surroundings. A hodge podge of junk food. However, if they do wings and burgers and burritos as well as they did the fish then good on them. The menu is vast. I just named a few sections. They have all the favs. It seats around seventy. Like I said, it was packed. I kind of expected a view of the water. No luck.  I usually hate this type of place. Amazing what a properly listed and cooked piece of fish can do.

No comments: