Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Southern Smoke Fish and Ribs, West Colonial

I grabbed a snack to go from this new (one month) BBQ place on 50 near the old O-rena on Saturday. It was a proximity call. I had the brisket sandwich for $9. It came with one side and I chose the fried corn (on the cob) because I had never had that. They said it was a special item. The brisket was ok. A little dry and tough. The real killer is that they used a deli slicer to cut it. I'm not sure if this is old school stupidity (they did this in Eustis too) or what, but, you need to hand slice brisket. You can't (easily) cut on a bias with a machine and the slices are too thin. It kills the texture. Those slices need to be at least pinkie thick. Watch a cooking show every once in a while! It did have some smoke flavor and some bark. You could see the smoker smoking away on the path to the entrance. They made it a sandwich with greasy Texas toast. You love it. I hate it. Waste of calories. On top of the meat they placed some shredded cheddar, onions rings and a sweet bbq sauce. It melded well as a sandwich. Not too much brisket though. A coil of about two/three slices. The corn was fine. They said it was a South American item. The cashier's English wasn't good enough to confirm and the cook kind of ignored my questions. Side note - why do certain segments of society get so suspicious if you start asking innocuous questions? I could see if I was asking about people or if he witnessed any illegal activity, but, cooking questions? I'm just making conversation and showing interest in your life's work. End side note. The frying probably just warmed the corn. It was just in there for a sec. It didn't seem to penetrate the skin, so, it may not be the worst thing for you. They piled on some aged and cheddar cheese (like the Mexicans do). The place has a western theme that I think the last place had. It was an Italian sandwich place and something else.I can't keep track.  It seats about thirty. There were two others there at three. They serve pork, ribs, chicken, cat fish, turkey wings, chicken wings, tilapia and sides.The most expensive thing is $14 (if you exclude a $21 rib platter). An old fashioned, self taught sort of place that is close to good. Ten years ago this is what we thought good bbq was (ala Bubbalou's). Then the hipsters refined it. I tried to get out of him what style the bbq was and didn't get an answer.

No comments: