Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Grub Crawl - Winter Park: Daya (Closed), Braccia and Fairbank's Diner (Closed)

I wasn't really looking forward to eating at any of these places anyway, so. I took my medicine all in one day. The first two require that spine rattling drive to Morse Blvd in the middle of Park Ave and the other is on Fairbanks near Paco's. It is very probable that one of these establishments allowed an employee with the flu to stay at work and spread the bug to it's customers.
    Flu symptoms are usually more severe than cold symptoms and come on quickly. Symptoms of flu include sore throat, fever, headache, muscle aches and soreness, congestion, and cough. 

Daya - This place replaces Nopa. Curiously, it is another plant based restaurant now next to the defunct raw food one from a little while ago. They have done next to nothing with the decor. Replaces the wine display area and some art. My table was not wiped down properly. You could see the soapy residue. I'll admit that I don't get the cult of veganism. It's so insistent. I've rarely had a decent dish at one of these places. Maybe a salad. I've gone through periods in my life where I was way health conscious and I agree that you usually feel great eating like this. However, there is only so much that can be done with this stuff. You're just happy some if it tastes sweet. And with the premium they usually charge, I'm often left wondering at the business model. It has to be some people desperate to get out and flaunt their colors. An Instagram-hearted egotist shouting to one part of the community"Hey, look at me. I'm like you - superior" and to the other - "I'm better than you". The funny thing is that these people (also in the cult of Apple Inc and Whole Foods) usually are better in just one respect (two if you count self delusion). They can waste (someone else's) money like nobody's business (and they usually aren't any healthier looking or skinnier - lots of vegan recipes are very caloric). Speaking of which, I had a tofu taco for $4. How much is it on not a Taco Tuesday? Actually $17. I'll guess that gets you 3? And $6 for a half order of a beet and apple salad. The taco was good. A good slaw. The salad was blah. Lots of diced beet. Some apple. Some dried (cranberries or little figs)? A top of your pinkie's worth of something that was to approximate goat's cheese. Barely any greens. I think the dressing was just oil. I also ordered some hippy coke that had no color and tasted horrible. Remember when the actual cola companies tried clear cola? The whole menu consists of flatbreads, wraps, soup, salad, "burgers", desserts and some Asian and Italian inspired entrees. Most things are double digits. High of $21. Service was a one woman show. There were six other people there at lunch time. I'm happy that this cohort has a place they can call home. It keeps them away from me (I felt for the poor Dad next to me that had to suffer through this because his scarecrow-looking daughter who must of been in college but looked thirty must of insisted on it). I'm just worried that I'll be back reviewing another attempt in this same spot a few months from now. It has been open for over half a year. The name means compassion in Hindi. Not sure I have it.

Braccia Pizzeria - This place is owned by a Brazilian box salesman. Which is kind of funny because the pizzas resemble them. It is a quasi-Brazilian take on pizza. The crusts are really thin and brittle. Almost a cracker. I had a plain cheese (cheapest) for $12. I'm glad I didn't go up market. Any topping (though they would would have added much needed flavor) would have caused the slices to fall apart under the weight. It was already crumbling with the weight of oregano. The taste is hard one to explain. Every time I wanted to conclude that I hated it, a bite would come along that argued "this ain't so bad". The cheese is flavorless. The sauce is almost non-existent. Yet, sometimes you'd get a bite of "crust" and the rest and it would be good. The menu is mostly pizza. Some meat entrees ($25 and up), apps, salads and pasta ($13 and up). The place is cute. I can't remember if any of it is leftover from the raw food place. The walls are a grey wood. They have some cut out plastic astro turf on the walls. A cool mini, glass wine "cellar".  It seats only around forty. The pizzas take no time to come out. I think they pre-bake the "shells". It has been empty (I mean nada) the three times I've walked by. It has been open for two months. I can't see it surviving.

Fairbanks Diner - They say they are older than Linda's and I wouldn't argue from the looks of it. It has a Western theme if any. It is worn. I just had a cheeseburger deluxe because I wasn't that hungry. It tasted like meatloaf. It had "bits" in it. The cheese was super salty. What is up with American cheese lately? It wasn't always this salty. The T and L were soft. Service was fine. The clientele is either on Social Security or scraping by. They have around five daily specials each day. If Linda's and this place are McDonald's and BK. This is BK.

No comments: