Friday, October 23, 2015

Grub Crawl - Lake Mary: Royals English Tea Room and Lake Mary's Grill and Pub

These places are near City Hall. I went to the first today and the second a few months ago.

Royals - They opened seven months ago. It's a little space near Lighthouse Seafood (behind the 7-11) and a dry cleaner. I had a salmon paste and cucumber sandwich for $7. It was fine. A tiny thing. Way over priced at $7. It was so insignificant that they hadn't had time to pour my tea before it was in my belly. The tea was Dragon Lilly at $4. I ordered a dessert out of curiosity and necessity. It was Treacle Pudding in custard for $6. It was a sponge cake soaked in a syrup in a soupy custard. I think it was nuked. It was fine. Very sweet. Ruined the tea for my tongue. It's run by a couple that I'm guessing is from Sussex. My mechanic is and they sound similar. You would think with all the Disney films and BBC I grew up on I would be able to decipher these accents by now. The room seats around forty. They do their best to make it seem English (ie mass produced commemorative ceramic plates) on a budget. They have a "big" menu of sandwiches. I say "big" because they kind of take all the things we throw together on one sandwich and make ten out of them, They have soups, desserts, quiches, salads, tea time platters, etc. Afternoon tea was started during the Industrial (Victorian) age to assuage the hunger and boredom of married women in between the afternoon and dinner meal that was now taking place at a later hour (darn time pieces, lighting and mercantilism). As such, the items were created for tinier appetites. Meaning that this may be more of a place for the Missus than the Master. It is interesting as a cultural experience though. The owners were nice. They seem to have a following. There is another tea room closer to I4 and one in Sanford. I guess I should be proud that we are so refined that we need three tea rooms. Closed on Monday.

Lake Mary's Grill and Pub - I went here a few months ago after I took the Sunrail back from downtown. I couldn't recall the name exactly so I didn't add them. I had a fried clam dinner for around $7. It was ok. It's a divey bar that has pool tables. It has been there (one street behind the City Hall area closer to 46) forever. 

No comments: