Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Makis Place, Winter Park

I grabbed some hand rolls to go at this new (two months) maki (rolled sushi) place near the BurgerFi on the corner of Park Ave near Rollins College. It's an interesting concept. It's a chain from Brazil (run by a Brazilian guy) that serves a Brazilian brand of sushi. I though that sounded strange and stupid, but, it was damn good. I've been exposed to alot of Brazilian twists since moving down here. I've experienced: Brazilian rice bowls, potatoes, burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, Middle Eastern food, pizzas, etc. I though I could draw at line at sushi. Who even knew they ate sushi? Let alone enough of it to begin tinkering with it. I had a Cameroon (salmon, peanuts and some kind of fermented mini shrimp in a Thai sauce) for $7 (actually $6 if you do the two for $12 option - do this). A salmon with cooked mushrooms and cream cheese for $7. A California with mango for $5. All were great. The rice sucked. It was pasty, but, they can fix that. Probably just need to rinse the rice before steaming or make less at one time. They are all just mind expanders. A whole new level of sushi. You could probably expel the salmon (really good and fatty) and still have a flavor sensation. Even cc (just a tad served in sprinklings) and mushrooms work. They also "peeled/shredded" the crab in the CR. A slight touch, but, much better than leaving it as that stick it's molded into. At least I could have pretended it wasn't some crap fish colored and flavored into looking like King crab. A lot of these rolls came in their own sauce. You didn't need soy and wasabi. They also filled them down to the bottom of the cone. It wasn't a rice cone with some toppings to fool you. This is also a little thing, but, the packaging they wrapped it in and even the chop sticks were quality. These little touches tell you alot about a place and its owner. They also serve cut rolls and sashimi. I think they had other stuff, but, I forgot.  I saw some guy's' sashimi platter on the way out and it looked fresh. The tuna I saw in the "case" looked a little pale. In any event, it is much better quality than I expected from a fast casual place. Almost, if not at, "real" sushi restaurant quality. The place seats about forty. It looks hip. The staff was personable. If I went to Rollins I would be here all the time (especially if I was a Grad Student). And not just because it is so close. If I worked nearby, this would be my take out three times a week. I couldn't understand why someone would open a maki place right across from a very good sushi restaurant (in a spot that no sushi place has survived in for long), but, now I get the logic. It isn't that it is less of a hassle or cheaper. It is the Brazilian twist. They have to play that up and hope that enough people are curious enough to expand their sushi vocabulary. It's also good for take home too. If I was giving odds, I think I'd rather have the Maki niche than the Umi niche.

No comments: