Saturday, November 28, 2015

Advo Care Invitational, Disney

I went to the first round of this annual college basketball tournament at the HP Field House at The Wide World of Sports on Thursday. It's not as cheap as it was and you don't get a Florida discount, but, it's still fun. It was this or go to the Knick game the night before to yell Porzinga! That's my Sheldon Cooper inspired nick name for Porzingis. Even at $35 a session (one day and one night) I got four times the amusement and I didn't have to sit hundreds of yards away from the court. I didn't even show up early and I sat six rows up between the bench and mid court for the day session and ten rows up dead center court for the night. I bet $35 gets you nose bleeds at the Magic and Ticketmaster takes a cut. Plus, as always, parking was free. What do the Magic charge now? $25? A minimum $10 if you park near Orange. The Magic and that other club with the loafing Brek Shea and women's team whose logo looks like a lactating breast could learn a little from this event. If you have a suspect product do something to give a fence sitter a reason to sample. Free parking is good because then you can go and see if tickets are available or cheap and if they aren't you aren't any worse for the wear. Now you are left weighing the odds and you almost always say screw it. Especially when those games are at peak traffic hours. ACC tournament officials this means you too.

Back to bball. They played again on Friday and end tomorrow. Saturday is verbotten. I guess because of the college football monopoly. ESPN televises it. It's great fun because the kids play hard and the fans do too. It's small enough that you can even heckle. I got in some good ones.

I have only one problem with tournament. Aside from the fact you can't buy single game tickets and a session is now $35. Who does your marketing? I only got info because I looked for it. I know this event takes place during Thanksgiving. Who else remembers? Most of the crowd were boosters that followed their team here. Few locals showed and you aren't selling out - ever. Even the ESPN web site and ticket link sucked. The website had next to no info on prices and times, etc. The ticket link only allowed you to buy the three day pass. Weak.

No comments: