Sunday, November 29, 2015

Grub Crawl - Disney Springs: The Boathouse, Erin McKenna's Bakery NYC and Vivoli Gelateria

I went to these spots at Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney) in between sessions of the basketball tournament on Thursday. They are in between the Rain Forest Cafe area and the House of Blues area. Central. They repositioned the barriers so now this area (nearer the lake) is open to pedestrians. I still can't believe this area is still under construction though. Hopefully President Trump won't use these urban planners to build his wall.

The Boathouse - I never really imagined I would go to a duplicate seafood place (Fulton's) down here, but, I read about it in the Sentinel and I was already down here. I just had a tuna poke for $18, It was more of a tartare. They minced the ahi too finely and it wasn't the greatest quality. Something gave me explosive diarrhea a few hours later and I'm betting it was this. It also didn't seem to have the sauce described on the menu. They wrote - soy vinaigrette. It tasted like that viscous, sugary Asian pepper dressing you get with a fast food salad or in certain ramen packets. It also had a base of pureed avocado. It was a biggish serving formed in a circle. They also jammed me for nearly $4 for a soda. The menu is pricey. They have a decent raw bar. Although it's around $4 per shrimp or oyster as examples. The place looks great. They have a motor boat you can sit in inside the dining room. They have boat motors on the wall. Lots of shiny wood. I sat on an outdoor patio island on the lake. The car boat terminal is right beside it and you get a sunset view. Service was nice. It has been open since June. I do have one question for all restaurant owners with a bar. Why don't you wash your dishes at my table? I mean I have to watch you do it at the bar, so, what is the difference? Why don't we free up some bar space and have those glasses cleaned where I can't see how little care is taken with them and how close I am to getting collateral herpes. And it might even serve the dual function of freeing the bartender up to tend to customers. I liked the place. It's overpriced, but, you've probably been ass raped by Disney for days, so, another inch won't cause much more bleeding. And if you are smart just go for a drink.

Erin McKenna's Bakery NYC - I grabbed a brownie cupcake because I knew Tony Romo was going to get hurt and he would need "crownies" to become a real thing if he was going to stay in the public eye. It was ok. The mocha topping was sour and too thick. Balance anyone? It was moist, so, lots of sugar. It cost $5. It was smallish. I may have been to the original store on Broome St on the LES, but, I don't remember it being that renowned in NY circles. It's a chain now I guess. They also serve cookies, bites and they had pumpkin pie on Thursday. That may be a one time deal. I think they also had some non-sweets. It's across from the Boathouse. They just opened too. I think a month ago. No seating.

Vivoli Gelateria - Another thing I usually avoid as much as cupcakes. However, the two flavors I had were good. It was $5 for a "piccola". I don't know why they say "piccola" because the next word is "gelato" which is a masculine noun that it describes and therefore the ending should be an o not an a. Maybe the word it describes is an understood, yet absent "cup" and that is feminine. I can't remember which word they use for ice cream cups (you did know gelato is ice cream, right?). Of course this faux Italian spot can't say "small" or else the price falls to $2. The cup was multo piccolo. Even with the tiny (piccolo) spoons, it was about six tastes of each. I had chestnut and a rice pudding something. They had many (20+) flavors.  I think they had some coffee, etc. They are new. To the right of Boathouse if you are exiting from there.

No comments: