Tuesday, November 24, 2015

TJ's Seafood Shack, Oviedo

I ate lunch at this accessible seafood restaurant in the LA Fitness strip mall (near Alafaya) off East Mitchell Hammock Rd on Saturday. What should have been a fairly salutary review of a Tijuana Flats looking seafood joint devolved into whatever this is because of misrepresentation. I went for the lobster roll because it was $8. I suspected it would be bad because of the price and all lobster rolls are, but, I just can't ignore this all too common fraud. All you shameless hucksters need to stop. You know this slop isn't lobster. You know it is sarimi (molded slop fish). I don't know if the people who sell you this junk label it is as lobster. If they have found or lobbied for a loophole in basic terminology, but, you shouldn't perpetuate the fraud. Or hide behind this plausible denial. Even calling it seafood salad would be disrespectful to your customers. I suggest you drop it from the menu. If you insist on keeping it, then sack up and call it fake crab salad. It's a shame because it came with good french fries and cole slaw. I also suggest you refrain from selling talapia anything. It's crap. You should be embarrassed to have it on your menu. I also had some NE clam chowder that wasn't bad. It cost $4. As I said, the place looks like a mid level chain (ie Tijuana Flats). It's clean and kitsch. But not authentically. It's a little tacky. They have those signs with pithy sayings and fake placards. It's smallish inside, but, they have a patio. You have to order at a counter. They have a video of the place's construction playing on a loop. It has been open for seven years. Not worth a search.

No comments: