Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Eddie V's Prime Seafood, Sand Lake Rd

I ignored a guideline and tried this Seafood/Steakhouse next to Rocco's Tacos Saturday night. Mostly because I was running out of options and I have never been to any other branches (saw one in Chicago). I try to avoid chains (especially expensive ones aimed at sales guys using corporate expense accounts) because they are chains. This one seemed extra low rent given the name it chose for itself. Every time I see it I hear Jimmy Fallon and Higgins talking about Monster Cable and saying EDDIE V! with a strong Guido accent. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be delightful. Now let's ignore the fact that I had to park across the street and it seemed necessary to grab a drink elsewhere before the crowd died down and anything but a seat at the bar was impossible. I still had a good time. It reminded me of those formal dinners (usually in a hotel) with the family replete with shitty house band and poor people celebrating with money they couldn't afford to lose. I had a half dozen oysters for $18. They served three of each type. They were smallish and most of the liqueur did not survive the walk from the raw bar. The shucker did a good job. Only one small shell fragment. I also had a shrimp cocktail for $16. They (4) were big. Just a touch spongy. I think the usual serving used to be six or at least five. The cocktail sauce was perfect. Lastly, I had a duo of tartares for $18. Steak and lobster. They actually served real lobster. And not claw tips and leg meat. I've had so many shitty lobster rolls lately (at $20 or more) that I assumed real lobster was a thing of my memories. There was enough lobster in this pile to make half a lobster roll. Nice, sweet flavor. A hint of a mayonnaise based dressing. The steak was also flavorful. Mixed with truffle oil, spices and covered with shaved Parmesan Reggiano. I nice dice. Not really a ground paste. The plate came with five pieces of toast that seemed coated with a wonderful honey butter. If I could go back, I would have ordered three plates of this. The main menu will set you back thirty bucks with a plus/minus margin of error like spread of five bucks. I went with two apps instead of one entree. They seemed pretty boring anyway. I saw a great steak and a drab tuna steak being served. The menu overall was surprisingly focused. Warning - their mark ups on booze are ridiculous. My glass of wine retails (the whole bottle) for the $10 they charged and it was the least manipulated. Bottles were four times retail. Service was great. Each plate came out expeditiously. They staggered the deliveries. Not one was served before I finished the one I had before me. The waiter/bartender asked in what order I wanted them served. And the restaurant was a mad house. And I was just a bar urchin. The place is divided into two areas by a glass wine cellar. The bar and the main room. The bar has lots of table top seating and probably seats around seventy. It was full. The whole place was full. They had one tiny TV as an accommodation to the sports nuts (I assume). I was surprised that they would preserve the ambiance of the bar this way. I expected them to favor the Average Joe more than the serious diner. The main room seats about one hundred. What I remember of the decor was polished wood and that thin translucent marble. It was smart, but, not stuffy. They really didn't drop the ball in any major areas. Try them out if you have the means.

No comments: