Monday, April 18, 2016

Grub Crawl - East Colonial: Smith and Adams Confections (Closed) and Fusion Cafe

I went to these place off 50 near Bumby on Friday. The first is in the mall that has that wine store and the other replaces a pizza place in a strip mall across the street. Traffic SUCKS on 50.

Smith and Adams Confections - Next to Gigi's Cupcakes in the back. They make gelato, candy, etc. I had a small Buchi (type of beer) espresso gelato with beer made at some new brewery on Curry Ford for $4 and a spicy dark chocolate bar for $6.50. The gelato got worse the more I ate of it. Too medicinal. The taste test was good, but... The chocolate bar was also mediocre. The cayenne (or whatever they used) could still be called out in your mouth. Dry dust sensation. The ratio was off too. Too much heat. They seem to be avoiding direct competition with the baked goods place next door. I think they had a brownie. But that was all. They serve beverages too. No need to make special plans to get here. I think they opened in December.

Fusion Cafe - This was a non-descript pizza place under many names until about a month ago. Now it is that plus Latino food. If I had to guess from the menu items, I would say Colombian. I just grabbed a sausage and meatball sandwich to go because I had already eaten and I wasn't that keen on eating here after I had just reviewed the old location a few months ago and I was not in the mood to diagnose the menu. It was good. Kind of a calzone cut open. They talked me into the "calzone" version ($1 extra). I'm not sure what the regular is served on. Roll? I'm not even sure that the calzone style is extra or if I agreed to buy the "special" which meant I got fries with that. Because I did (get fries with that). The cost was $8. They made it fresh. It took ten minutes. It consisted of one baseball sized meatball (cut up) and one sausage. Both were good enough. They could offer up more sauce and cheese. The french fries were under cooked. What I think happened is that the old owner sold out to some one on the staff and they were Colombian. They had all the pizzeria equipment and the knowledge (from doing the cooking) and decided to keep it in the mix with their real love - Colombian cooking. The place seats about forty. They added some drapes (ala Pottery Barn again) as wall hangings. They have one server and the place showed it. Unbussed tables galore. It's an upgrade over what it was. Still to be seen if it is special.

No comments: