Thursday, April 21, 2016

Grub Crawl - Winter Park: Pepe's Cantina and Jillycakes (Closed)

I went to these two places today. The first is in Hannibal Square where that tapas place was. The other is in the corner of the Shake Shack strip mall on N. Orange.

Pepe's Cantina - I believe they said they opened in December. The staff of the old place took over. Maybe they were the reason the old place closed down. I had a terrible lunch of chicken fajitas that took $20 from my wallet when everything was added up. The "Chinese take out" quality chicken cost $14. They were slathered in some adobe. They used chicken thighs and let me snuff out any argument right now that they use chicken thighs or worse for flavor purposes. They don't They are just cheap. The percentage of chicken to peppers and onions was about 1 to 10. Who eats the peppers anyway? There are barely enough tortillas for the chicken. The chicken was perilously close to being under cooked. The tortillas were served in Reynold's Warp. The guacamole (ordered this to get that) only tasted of lime. They say the make table side guac. I hope it's better than that. The beans had a sweet taste. I prefer savory. The rice was mushy and was cooked with a jar of mixed vegetables. Don't try and get me to eat my vegetables by hiding them like you hide a pill for your dog in a piece of cheese or spinach in some Puppy's (this is my new word for people we used to call Yuppies who are now even bigger pussies - basically anybody with an I Phone) brownie. The only good thing was the free salsa and chips. The chips were warm and non-greasy and not salty. The salsa had a little hint of garlic. Service was haphazard. Around four or five guys took part. Yet, I never got a refill nor did anyone ask how the food was. The food came out alarmingly fast. It is a shame if my meal is emblematic of how they do business. The area did need something in this area. How long must we suffer with only PR's?  However, they better step it up even if they don't step up the pricing at dinner (everything at lunch was $12-$14). The inside only seats about twenty and most of those seats are next to a kitchen or bathroom door. The front patio seats about sixteen. They have a bar are that wraps around the side into the back. Maybe it should transform into a bar. They were pushing their Thirsty Thursday pretty hard. And may I ask why can't people just call it Thirstday. Are people so stupid that they can't deconstruct that word? Hoda and Kathy Lee do this all the time too. I get what day Boozeday would be. The fun is in truncating the word. You idiots don't get to add it back later. I was happy when I saw that Pepe's opened that the demise of the tapas place maybe signaled an end to a trend. That is still all I have after eating here.

Jillycakes - I had a cookie butter cupcake at this cupcake store today. The lack of parking in this strip mall kept me away until now. It was fine. The cake was moist. I still don't get why you fatties want more icing than cupcake or why they felt the need to stuff this one. They stuffed it with Trader Joe's cookie cream. This is (wait for it) some very famous paste made out out of cookies that apparently I am the only one (ever) to have never heard of before. The pork pie at Jilly's actually said that to me. Puppie. I think the paste is mouth chewed by non-GMO, fair wage artisans from Equatorial Africa. That or free range methadone patients. Can't use prisoners. The confined spaces make for unhappy animals. Anyway. Back to the cupcakes. They seemed ok. The business card said something about Cupcake Wars. They could have come in last. It doesn't say. Do we need this? Do we need tapas? Puppy chow is different from regular dog food so....

No comments: