Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Grub Crawl - Tavares: Palm Gardens Restaurant and Marina and Al's Landing

I ate lunch at this little spot in a "marina" on a waterway connecting Lake Dora and Lake Eustis on Sunday. It was on that list the Sentinel produced a while ago. I had one of the meals they suggested because it didn't look like it would make much of a difference. It was a spiral ham sandwich for $8. It came with chips. It was fine. Four thick slices. The veg were fresh. It could just be a reserving of a Honey Baked Hams product. Who knows. It's not my go to meal. The rest of the fare is basic. Burgers, dogs, the usual sandwiches, fried seafood. They have a raw bar. They serve that basa fish and call it Grouper's little brother. The place is located in some kind of RV park that rents cabins. They seemed very run down. You take 441 towards Leesburg and it is right on the west edge of the lake. It has a little bar and a dock area that seats about fifty. It was pretty full. It is under trees with Spanish moss. People were arriving by boat and roping off. It could be quaint if you are in the right mood. Working class spot.

I'll update the rest of places on that list in Tavares. There are three places on the part of the lake on 441. Two were on the list. I forget the name of the one not on the list. Sinbad's seemed to be a dump on stilts. Buzzard Beach was just shack. They also had a Hurricanes across from Palm Gardens. It is a chain, but, it was on the list.

If you get off 441 before the lake, you will find the old town of Tavares. I was coming back from Palm Gardens (farthest west) so I took the turn where the lake began. You can take Sinclair before then and I think St Clair before that. I left via Sinclair, so, I know that works. It is a small town on Lake Dora. Mostly government building. It has a cute park (with tiny water park) that is kid friendly. You can get $40 sea plane rides and $25 two hour boat tours. I think they do an old timey train to Mt Dora at certain times. I had a beer at Al's Sand Bar at the far end. It had a basic menu. The list said there was an Al's Landing. It has changed into Puddle Jumpers. Behind Al's was a place called Tiki West Bar. Closer to the parking area were two places on the list - O'Keefe's Irish Pub and Ruby Street Grille. In between was an ice cream place called Nice Creams. Behind them was a sushi place. It seemed closed that day. And that is Tavares. I will go back and try the other places intermittently.


No comments: