Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Ana's Kitchen, I Drive - Moved

I had lunch at this Brazilian restaurant in that strip mall near the Treasure Tavern (?) dinner theater. They say on Universal Blvd. I saw it this summer when I went to that sushi place. It's only open for lunch, so, I haven't had the chance. I showed up at 11:30 and it was a good thing I did. It pretty much filled up within five minutes of opening. It was packed when I first saw it too. It must be a hidden secret in the Brazilian community. The menu is smallish. Around ten dishes. I'm fairly certain it is changed often. It seemed way different than what I saw this summer. I had a Bifstek Acebolado (steak and onions) for $11.50. I didn't even want that, but, it had a fried egg on it so it was the closest thing to brunch. The steak (skirt?) was huge and cooked perfectly (with barely any gristle). Not rare because we all know that Cook's Country Kitchen told us that this cut need to be cooked ten to fifteen degrees warmer than a choicer cut. So the connective tissue can relax/release. The egg was a little overcooked if the yolk was meant to be a sauce. The caramelized onions were good. The white rice was plentiful. The beans were outrageous. I don't get what the Latin fascination is with white rice and beans, but, if these smoky beans (that caused no flatulence) were what everyone served then I would get it. The rest of the menu was meat oriented. It has been open for two years. It seats about thirty. The crowd was mainly Brazilian. A few gringos came and left when they saw the wait. They have cute, feminine art on the walls. A doll theme. It has a pastel color scheme. Clean. I thought this might be a diamond in the rough when I first saw it. I'm glad I went back to confirm. A step above the Brazilian buffet places on I Drive. Way more character. I believe there is an Ana and she came to ask me how my meal was.

No comments: