Monday, September 28, 2015

Fred's Market, Lake Mary - Closed

I went to this buffet restaurant on Wednesday for lunch. It is on the northeast side of the I4 exit in Lake Mary. It used to be a Macaroni Grill. I have been waiting all summer for it to open. I thought it was going to be a yuppified Southern place with a gourmet market from what I had read about it. It's really just a Cracker Barrel that isn't a la carte. It looks ok inside. They did some thrifty redecorating. Quotes on the walls, the splashes of wood that seem to be a decorating requirement for urban bbq/southern restaurants and some blown up photos in frames. It seats about 90. Wood tables and booths. There was a Cracker Barrel like crowd waiting outside to be seated at one pm. They have been open for two weeks. I think Robert's last name is Johnson (in all the photos) and he has around five of these places in Florida and the first was in Plant City. It's that type of place. Lots of fattening, old southern food for people about to have their feet amputated. I tried a little of a lot for you people and here is the run down: Pot Roast - ok but everyone scooped out the meat, fried chicken - ok, fried catfish - ok, mashed potatoes - good, grits - ok, fried green tomatoes - good, corn bread - bad - really salty skillet style, cheese biscuit - good, potato salad - ok, Waldorf salad - ok, mushroom salad - ok, pulled pork - first batch was dry and terrible - second batch they brought out was good/fresh, lasagna - terrible - tasteless and overcooked, mac and cheese - bad - they just melted oily processed cheese on overcooked macaroni, pecan pie - poor. They let you have unlimited trip for $11.49. One trip to all bars is around $10. It is cheaper for one trip to the salad bar, etc. The specials change every day. There is overlap. Monday is rib day. That has to be a zoo. The things I passed on were stewed veggies, broiled talapia, pies, soups and most of the salad bar.  I think a soda was over $2. They use small glasses, but, refills are free. They have free (used) newspapers up front. Service was good. If I went back, I would just do the salad bar. I must have gained five pounds on this visit. I'd have preferred a Coop type place. The last thing I (and all of us) need is the pairing of unhealthy and unlimited. They will probably do well. It was still packed when I left and the parking lot was jammed when I went by the day before. There are enough undiscerning volume eaters in the area. The big losers in the area will be Jason's "Deli", Wilted Clit and Slob Heaveans.

No comments: