Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Vincenzo, I Drive

I had dinner at this Italian restaurant in that strip mall with Charley's and the bowling alley (near the ferris wheel) on Friday. It was what I expected. An overpriced, under performing imitation of an authentic Italian experience. The problems started with parking. There was none. All the restaurants in this area cordon off sections of the lot for their personal use. And there is no way I'm trusting my vehicle with the idiot valets. Then the bitchy hostess pretended like there was only bar seating available when that was not the case and then gave me a quasi-bar area seating after all. Then the kitchen nightmares started. I kind of just wanted small portions of excellent food and they gave large portions of mishandled food. I had chinghalle (they spell in cinghale) bruschetta for $12. They served four "toasts" of the saltiest pulled pork ever created. The pork (doubt it was real wild boar) was dry and the sauce was reduced too far. They topped it with a dollop of what I assume was burrata. It didn't pair well and was sour. I have never experienced spoiled cheese before. I hope they aren't making it themselves and screwing it up. I also hope it's not because they don't throw stuff out.  I had the salmon penne ala vodka for the entree. It was $20. The salmon was very fishy. I will give them a break and blame it on the ham handed fish mongering and not the freshness of their supply (because the salmon was firm). They didn't carve off the grey/brown parts of the salmon and its rankness polluted the dish. The vodka sauce was also bisquey (they have this on the menu and couldn't possible sub it into this dish right?) tasting. A separate sea taste from the fish. The penne was well cooked and plentiful. But, it is a terrible pairing. The first and last time I order that. Salmon is way too funky for this sauce. This dish was also saltier than it needed to be. I doubt anyone is tasting the food before it comes out. Service was ok considering they left it up to the bartender. Class move. The place seats about eighty. The have a separate dining room that doubles that capacity. I suppose it is for private affairs. The look is kind of sterile. I usually hate the pack rat feel of most Italian places, but, this place only has the main components of furniture and no decolletage. It's new and modern. I'd guess the furnishings were from a mass market supplier. The menu tries to be progressive. prices are all over the places. You can pay $38 for fish and $10 for lasagna. Apps border entree pricing. The crowd was very ordinary and some people looked they just came from a theme park. I only went here because I hadn't before and it needed to be got. That and this stupid Cowgirls bar nearby has to be reviewed and they are about three months passed due and still not open so that didn't happen. I don't recommend it. It's a me too and that me too is some jerky second generation Italian family from Jersey or Vegas who thinks they cook like they do in Bologna. I believe they have been around for two years. Oh yeah, they gouge on drinks. $3.50 for a soda. Wine would have made the check insupportable.

No comments: