Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Mason Jar, Umitilla

I had lunch at this lets call it white soul food restaurant on Sunday. It's on SR 19 in between Eustis and Umitilla. I had an open faced roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes because I was trying to outrun the heartburn I had experienced over the last few days and nothing else seemed that appetizing or benign to my hung over body. Unfortunately, I missed breakfast hours. The cost of the dandified shit on a shingle was $9. It wasn't bad. Lots of beef. Not overcooked. The potatoes and gravy (not salty) were good. I will never get the inclusion of sliced white bread that these places serve. It was part of the dish. Sunday was all you can eat fried chicken day. It looked good. It's that kind of menu. Old school classics. It seats about 60. It was packed with people who look like they vote Huckabee. It reminded me of some scary "meet the inbred (?) parents" introductory meals with soon to be discarded girl friends. The decor is old lady, tag sale bric a brac. Service was good. In case you are wondering why the hell I went here - it was in a regional review done by the Sentinel a while back and my day at the beach got rained out. I saw it on a trip last Spring to find the setting for the book The Yearling. I don't think you have to make a special slog up there for it. It isn't that special.

No comments: