Sunday, September 6, 2015

Europe Bakery, Lake Mary - Closed

I had lunch at this new European/South American restaurant on 17-92. It is near SSC in a decaying strip mall next to some weirdo church/school. I was really surprised. I was surprised that it was open. They have that Latin/Roman way of making the outside look unimpressive - for the tax man and pillagers. It looked closed from the street. This could be a problem for them. I was surprised at the menu. I expected Eastern European for some reason. They should know that most western "European" places in America call out their nationalities (French, Italian, etc) and only the "newer" EU countries use "European" to describe their places because most Americans have never heard of their country and don't know it is in Europe. And most Americans are dubious about any place but Europe (ie other white people). Lastly, I was surprised that the place was good and had a huge menu. You can go two ways. You can get some "traditional" western European style food from the Italian blooded chef/owner or some of his and his Argentinian wife's South American dishes or their (SA) reinterpretations of European dishes. Too many to list. I had a chicken empanada that I asked for baked instead of fried. It takes twenty minutes that way, so, I had it to go. It was good. Good crust. The stuffing had olives in it. It cost $2.50. I also had a toasted ham and cheese sandwich with some pithy nick name (that I forgot) for $5. It was very thin. Two sandwiches. Some kind of Monterrey Jack/Provolone cheese that I'm sure is common in SA. The ham was that salty type. I also had a cheeseburger for $6. The burger meat was that weird non-American stuff you get overseas. I don't know how they fuck it up, but, it always tastes like bad Salisbury steak. I used to blame their sickly looking cows, but, I think it may be additives. The patty was also too dense. It seemed form molded (not hand). That can squeeze the meat. You don't want to squeeze the meat. It's very delicate. They used the same cheese here. The bun was glossy. A little tough in spots. Large. The fries (steak fries) were very crisp and plentiful. The best part of the meal. There may have been some vegetables on top. Prices are all over the place. Some things are way out of line (both ways). They have an attached bakery that has an (I'm not saying plethora or copious) impressive selection of pastries, etc. The place is large. Probably two commercial spaces joined together. Some kind of egg shale color on the walls with a few blow up posters of Buenos Aires and some flat screens. The furniture is weird. It's new and clean, but, I think it is all Home Depot patio wear. And there are two types of it. I guess it will ensure you get a cleanly wiped dining experience. As I said, I was pleasantly surprised. More people than I expected were coming in for the baked good (and maybe to go meals). They are open 7 days a week and for all three meals. They have music and dancing on the weekends. If you aren't aware, Argentina (and may SA countries) has had many Europeans immigrate over the last two hundred years. The cuisine reflects that. Especially when you have a self-identifying one at the helm. You should give it a shot. They have been open for just a few weeks. The food was good and the service was warm and efficient.

No comments: