Sunday, March 30, 2014

Border Grill, Universal

I had lunch II at this Mexico City style Mexican spot on Vineland (off Kirkman) on Friday. I had a lengua taco, a pibil taco and a carnitas taco combo. It cost $6. The lengua was perfect. The best I've ever had. No earthiness. The two pork tacos were a little (very) salty. I had them Supreme style (can also get them with just onion). That meant they added some crema, grated hard cheese, lettuce and tomato. I also had hard shells. It was a lark because I usually do soft at a real Mexican place. I'm glad I did. They were among the best shells I've ever had. So light and thin and not greasy. The place serves all the usual dishes. I would bet that they are all great. This place is the real deal. It's in a little strip mall and isn't much to look at. Who cares? It's cheap and excellent. I would advise them to remove the old sign that says "Island" from the exterior. It must be a remnant from it's previous incarnation as Thai Island. It confuses the customer. They have been there for a couple of years, so, I think they should have addressed this by now. Not withstanding, this place must be on of the best Mexican restaurants in town.

No comments: