Thursday, March 27, 2014

Grub Crawl - South OBT: Bombay Grill and Junior Columbian

I went to these places on South OBT today. Why am I doing this "week of crawls"?

Bombay Grill - This was in the Bombay Market and was supposed to be good. Ehh. Now it's a few hundred meters south in its own spot near the a billboard for salt water fish. It's halal. That can mean fresh or it can mean that the food is to food what their fashion is to fashion. In this case, I'm nor sold on the fresh argument. I had a chicken boti kabob for $8. Boti is cubes. There were four, big cubes on two wooden skewers and a whisper of onion or pepper in between. The chicken didn't seem marinated. The peppers (I hope) gave it a mouldy flavor. The hot pepper spice it was dusted with had no flavor just heat. It came with Naan or rice or french fries. I had Naan. I ate it like a sandwich. It also came with a salad with no dressing that I didn't eat. If you look at it like it was two chicken pitas for $8 then it makes sense. If you say "for a dollar or so more I could go to an all you can eat Indian buffet almost anywhere" then it doesn't. The food took every second of the 15 minute wait time espoused. That means it was probably fresh (only person there) or it was a hell of a long wait to be let down. Maybe their other stuff is better. They had burgers, gyros, seafood, lamb, beef, etc in sauces. The place seats about twenty. It's more of a take out place. The decor is horrendous. It wasn't that clean. You can skip it.

Junior Columbian - These guys had one of the first food trucks in town. It was near Universal. I never found it or the brick and mortar store they replaced it with. I finally went into this branch near Central Florida Parkway today. I didn't know they were the same people. I ordered a single cheese burger. It comes with everything including potato chips. Very rich and fattening. You have to say plain if you want that. But, what's the point of having a Colombian burger if you do that. It was fine. I'm used to them now. The burger is always a little Euro. That means you can just tell it's not American. The kind you get when traveling. It cost $6. I also sampled a dish called "salchipapa" for $5. It was just cut up hot dogs and baby potatoes. You can skip that. They have odd things like "maicitos" and not so odd like empanadas and churros. They now have four locations - Universal, UCF, this palce and Lee Vist Blvd. It seats about fifty in what looks like a New York themed diner. Good value.

No comments: