Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sunny Breeze Cafe, Sanford - Closed

I bought some snacks for dinner at this cafe on 17-92 and Lake Mary Blvd yesterday. It was a sandwich place that was called something like Fire Station until recently. They pretty much scrapped the theme and added a Latin section to the menu. I can't remember if I liked the old menu. I'd guess it has stayed the same. Don't be scared that the "American" side will now suffer. Most of the staff is still American. That said, I only ordered from the new items. I had a tamale with chicken and potatoes, a soft chicken taco they call a taquito and a pupusa with shredded pork and cheese. All were $2. Talk about value! The tamale was in a banana leaf and was big. The tamale was light and moist. The chicken was a little dry and salty. The taquito was filled high with diced chicken and just some diced onion on top. Traditional. The pupusa was the best. I'd exchange the store bought, shredded cheddar for something less American, but, the chicken was less salty here and the "sopa" (I know that's Mexican but I don't know its real name) was moist. The dishes have an El Salvadoran character. The cook who does these meals is from there. The area totally needed a non-Americanized Mexican/Central American, cheap joint. Now it has one. Two dollar snacks? How can you go wrong? If they were anywhere near eatable, they would have filled a void. They do better than that.

No comments: