Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Brown's New York Deli, Maitland - Closed

I ate breakfast at this "New York Deli" in that little strip mall that houses Copper Rocket at N. Orange yesterday. I had their Challah French Toast for $7. It was fine. I like it a little more "soaked", but, at least it wasn't a crust with dry bread inside. The slices (3) were thick. The place is true Kosher. No dairy or pork. They have been serving breakfast recently after a summer opening. They serve the usual suspects during the day - tongue, brisket, chopped liver, liverwurst, pastrami, corned beef, et al along with non-Yiddish staples like turkey, meat loaf, roast beef, salami, etc. They also have knishes, stuffed cabbage, latkes, bobkas, matzoh ball soup. You get the picture. They even have hot dogs, burgers, salads, and other "regular" food. They follow the usual NY model of higher prices for larger volumes. Personally, I would prefer a model that doesn't simultaneously stretch my budget and waistline, but, at least it isn't high prices and small portions. Sandwiches hover around $10, but, come with fries or potato salad. Hot dogs are $6 (same sides). Burgers are $10+ and I'm nor sure if they come with anything. Get the idea? The place needs a little age to evoke the tradition of the NYC deli's they have on the wall. It feels more like a cafe than a deli. The place seats about 80. There were eight people there for breakfast. The service was great and friendly. I had three unsolicited refills in ten minutes. They even gave me a newspaper to occupy my time. If I were to prognosticate, I'd trust them to deliver on the other selections. It has to be one of the safer options for this kind of food in Central Florida.

No comments: