Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Hamilton's, Winter Park

I think they call this place a "country kitchen". It's in the new Alfond Inn across from Rollins. I had lunch there yesterday.I think they opened in the Fall. I had a Yellowtail Snapper over Chorizo Hash for $16. It was almost sublime. The snapper was a little mushy. I would guess that it was the last of the previous week's delivery. It was pan fried to a point that almost crisped up all the skin. It was probably "spoon" poached (oil ladled over the fish). The "hash" was an extrapolation on the common diced version. It was potato wedges with cubes of chorizo. Very good. They also dressed it with some baby arugula and blue watercress. I ate it every which way. It was the best when you had a piece of all the components. Someone took the care to think this dish out. I don't love mushy fish with mushy potatoes usually, however, it didn't fail. This hash could go with alot of creatures. The chorizo worked especially well to spice up the blandness of the fish and potatoes and add a tough element to the tender fish. You'll see in this review that I pay alot more attention to the meal. That's always a sign that the food was above average. They have a small menu for breakfast and lunch. About three apps and entrees. $16 was the high water mark. The dinner menu is more extensive, but, it is pretty much twice the price. I think $30 was the low water mark. And I think that was for chicken breast. I hope they can deliver at that expectation level. They had a diversified menu for dinner - one dish of about eight types of critter. The place is big, has a patio and is decorated like a mix of Restoration Hardware and a farmhouse. They mix and match the chairs. How rebellious.The tables are wood. It seats around eighty inside. Maybe forty outside. And there is a private dining area. The biggest work station is hidden from the diners behind a half wall. There is one area near the kitchen that isn't hidden. They have a viewable kitchen. I was a little nervous that it would be a let down, but, I think they surpassed expectations. I'll probably stick to lunches because I'm cheap, but, if you are a Winter Park swell or a Rollins student's parent (or simple scion with their charge card) who has the veneer of respectability then this may be right up your alley.

No comments: