Thursday, March 13, 2014

Red Robin, Sanford

I had lunch at this mid-market chain next to Cheddar's on Rinehart yesterday. I have to begin with a reminder that I don't like these kinds of places. They don't have the efficiency of a fast food chain and they don't have the quality of a mom and pop. I understand that they began in the Northwest and I saw a sign on the highway in Virginia recently for it. They are new to Florida. This may be the first branch. I had a Tavern Double Burger for $7 ($10 with tip) because all the premium burgers were $10+ and I didn't trust them to deliver at that price point. They give you a choice of buns. I chose corn meal from a selection that included ciabatta, sesame, etc. I couldn't eat the top bun because it was smeared with their house sauce. I asked for ketchup. The bottom bun was also smeared, but, I scraped that off. I also discarded the lettuce and tomato because the lettuce was smeared and the tomatoes looked wilted. The burger meat was meatloaf-y. I think they cut it with alot of binder. There were two patties to the serving. They covered them with a lot of cheese. I think burgers are there bread and butter, so, I'd recommend a place like Burger Fi (although I find them over rated) over them. They are cheaper too. They evened up the value proposition by including steak fries. They were ok. A little thin and spongy. They did mention a fry refill. I abstained. I'm not sure if they always inform the diner of this service. I would high light it more on the menu if it was my restaurant. The whole meal came in a spiral basket that made anything but hand to mouth an impossibility. I've already spent more time than I wished to writing about the place. It's like Applebee's or TGIF. I think these place rip off yokels. It makes me sad to eat at place like this because it reminds me that I live in a backwater. However, most of my fellow diners seemed pleased as punch. The place opened a few weeks ago and it's always full. The place looks nice. They are trying to trick you into thinking it's a hip place to be. The biggest obstacle is their boring, unevocative name and the font they use. The menu is blase. I think I spied chicken and fish sandwiches as other options. They have the usual apps and salads. They have some ludicrous thing called a beer milkshake. Drinks are more expensive than say at Stonewood. A glass of Washington State White was close to $8. They seem to try and finagle an extra 50 cents out of every item. They don't list beer or soda prices. You can just smell the corporate nickel and diming in every aspect of the place. The management is very nice and involved. They are trying. The wait staff is mostly teenage girls. It makes me sad that they aren't in school (see backwater quote). It's not a place for me, but, I suspect they will be very successful despite everything I just stated.

No comments: