Thursday, March 27, 2014

Grub Crawl - College Park: Ragazzi's and Hubbly Bubbly (Closed)

I ate lunch at these spots on Edgewater Dr yesterday.

Ragazzi's Pizza - I just grabbed a slice here because I wanted to multi-grasp. I ate here when it was Alfonso's years ago. The slice was large and everything a pizza at this price point should be. It's a traditional American pizza parlor slice. Thin. Buttery sweet crust (might have been better than the center). No boils. Cooked through. No gimmicks. It  also cost just a tad over $2. Good job. The place serves panini, subs, pasta, calzones, stromboli, salads and some American bar apps. Prices are reasonable. It seats about sixty. It's clean. They have a bar adjacent. The service was quick and polite.

Hubbly Bubbly Falafel Shop - This was the main act. I just read about them in the Orlando Weekly the day before. It employs a Chipotle operational model. They have about three items three ways if you had to generalize. You choose a falafel or lamb/beef or chicken base and then make it a salad, a hummus bowl or pocket sandwich. I chose falafel because they looked so tiny and cute. They fried them fresh in front of me. It took a few seconds. Then I had it their way (Georgie's I think). They added a salad blend, pickles, radish, tzatziki, hummus and maybe tahini or garlic sauce or both (I wasn't watching). It cost $6. It tasted great. They also have "mazel tots", and baklava fingers or you can get falafel balls or pita and hummus as sides. They serve beer. They try to make everything on the premises. They seem to give a damn in a way that many higher priced and self important places could take a lesson from. This place is eminently franchise-able and I was pleased to hear that they planned on branching out. It has a modern, minimalist industrial look. It seats about twenty inside. They have a large patio area. It was full. The crowd was very representative. It's in the spot where a barbeque place used to be at the end of town. Parking is a little bit tight. Solid entry. I think they opened a few months ago. I think everything cost in the single digits. The name has something to do with hookahs.

No comments: