Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Black Bear Smokehouse, Mount Dora - Closed

I separated this place out from the grub crawl because it isn't in the main town. It's on 40 (Donnelly St) and 441. It's the real reason I went to Mount Dora. I had Big Sexy (Brisket and Pulled Pork) with two sides for $10. My bill says the sides cost $1, so, I'm not sure if I could have just ordered the meat. The brisket was really smoky and peppery. It was also dry and very lean. I could swear I tasted a coffee rub. The pork was a little bit better. Still a little dry. They both needed bbq sauce which was not provided, but, may have been available on the tables. I chose potato salad and spoon bread for the sides. The potato salad was good. Wet. It has eggs, celery and onion in it. The spoon bread was a first for me. It is basically corn bread scooped into a mound. It was very sweet and had whole kernels in it. They have been open for three years. The original is in Ocala. The owners are from Kansas City and the barbeque is in that style. They have around eight things (bologna, chicken, etc). The inside is nice. Brick. It looks professional. It seats around eighty. It was pretty empty at 2pm. It's in a strip mall. It wasn't earth shattering, but, I think they are worth a look. Hopefully, you get a better example of their work than I did.

No comments: