Sunday, May 10, 2015

Carrie's Bistro, Longwood

I had lunch at the old Zorba's spot on 434 and Ronald Reagan on Friday. It's new (2 weeks). The old owner turned Zorba's (they retained alot of that menu) into a world cuisine restaurant for a challenge. I had oxtail stew with two sides for $10. The four oxtails pieces were fresh, tender, bountiful and tasty. I had rice pilaf and french fries as my sides. The rice was really just basmati rice (too dry and crunchy) infused with a nice flavor. It worked well with the meat. The french fries were fancified with a herb sprinkle. About half of them were a little too undercooked. These things can be fixed and are probably not indicative of the norm. The owner is from Zimbabwe and has Le Cordon Blue training. She has alot of fresh baked French treats and a few French entrees and starters. There is steak, bbq brisket, American wraps and melts, lamb stew, chicken curry and the aforementioned Greek fare (rotisserie chicken, gyros, kebabs, etc). Usually I would find a change like this a change for the worse, but, I trust that she can prepare such a melange. I also trust her to mix it up. The place looks the same. It's a small, modern, clean, rectangular space that seats around thirty. The owner assured me everything is made to order and that bulk provisioning is a no-no. Pricing is sound. The most expensive dish is $11 for a T Bone. Most things are $8-$9. They have beer and wine. I was very pleased with the change and I liked the old place. It's not in the most convenient location, but for those of you who live in the area, this may be more than you deserve.

No comments: