Monday, May 25, 2015

Kappo, Audubon Park

After swinging and missing on two more spots on my list Thursday (not open for lunch), I decided it was late enough to try (for the fourth time) this minuscule Japanese booth in the East End Market. I still ended up waiting on hour, but, they squeezed me in at 3pm. It was worth the wait. I ordered a sashimi platter called the Big Something. It was supposed to be fourteen items (I think), but, they gave me more than that. Every item came in pairs or threes. It had two types of salmon, two types of sea bream, peeled octopus, arctic char, salmon roe with crab, two types of uni, raw shrimp, amberjack, clam, suzuki, and some other stuff I can't remember. Everything was fresh, fresh, fresh. The plating was exemplary. They cut and sliced up tiny lemons and key limes and layered them throughout. The wasabi was fresh as can be (grated as needed). They also added as little pile of moist, diced nori and a bowl of properly prepared rice. Then they ended the meal with a mushroom soup with some kind of (belly?) in it and a wonderful ice cream. They have sake and Japanese sodas and beer available. The water they serve doesn't taste like bad tap water. The vibe wasn't elitist at all. All the (7) customers were yaking it up with each other and the engaging staff. Helped by alcohol in some cases. They let us dilly dally because this was the last serving for lunch. I spent two hours there (flew by) and I was the first to eject. My food preparer was schooled at places in NYC like Morimoto and hailed from Miami. He was Filipino. I'm not sure if he was the major domo or owner or what. The meal cost $42 before tax (I think) and was one of the more expensive options. You could go upscale with a omikase option (around $60 I think) or try something ala carte-ish for around the teens. They also had a lot (including a lunch special) for around $20. This place probably secured the number one position in my mind for CF's Japanese cuisine. The atmosphere. The ingredients. The intimacy. The approachable exclusivity. It all works. I've had many omikase type services and they can be a little sterile, uptight and over priced. This is better than all those Zagat super stars in super star cities and half the price. I suggest the "second lunch" time slot (3pm) if you can schedule it in. They don't take reservations and you will probably find it full. It's not a secret to foodies. The couple next to me was from Wisconsin and read about it on Yelp. They are also closed on Mondays.

No comments: