Sunday, May 17, 2015

Swine & Sons Provisions, Winter Park

I was intrigued at first when I heard the Cask & Larder people were teaming with a pal on this new sandwich shop next to C&L. Then I was slightly disappointed when I saw their menu (small and dull) through the window because they were closed on the Monday of my first attempt. Now I'm disappointed. I went here (Fairbanks) on Friday for lunch. I had their burnt ends sandwich for $10. I was a little curious as to how there could be enough "ends" for a lunch staple. When I have had them at a place like Arthur Byrant's, they always to seem to imply that these are scarce. I don't know where the rest of the brisket is going and after I had the sandwich, I think that they may be stretching the definition of "ends". I really didn't see anything resembling what I've tried before. It was more like the tough stewing meat you get at a Latin place or Chinese take-out. They were also overcooked. They gave me a slight sense of nausea right away and stayed in my system like a pernicious and queasy rock until they were thankfully expelled this morning. And I ain't that regular. They came on an ok bun with home made pickle slices. The pickles reminded me of the closet full of pickles we had to suffer through the Winter my mother decided to give up drinking (not sure that actually happened) and get herself a hobby. I've rarely seen a layman produce good pickles. They always get the spices or vinegar flavor wrong. As they do here. The place is cute in an old maid sort of way. It's small and they don't have enough seats by half. It was packed. You order at a counter. They only have seven sandwiches (one is a hot dog). They eight sides/apps. They serve C&L beer. No regular sodas. Just hippie sodas. Everyone was choosing the free water. They also seem to prep the sandwiches before hand for easy warming (not made to order). It reminded me of one of those "express" refrigerators for some name chef that you see at the airport. The butcher shop seemed to be the best part. However, do you really want a hipster making something that any Italian or German butcher can make in his sleep? If we are comparing it - to say Coop or Pig Floyd or that Meat Market around the corner - then I say that this wasn't really needed and doesn't stack up. I expected more because I like C&L. You can demote this on your list of places to try.

No comments: