Sunday, May 10, 2015

Milan, Longwood - Closed

I grabbed a lasagna to go at this new (2 weeks) Italian spot at the corner of 434 and 17-92 on Friday. I'm pleased to announce that this is just a reboot of the old Romansa restaurant that just closed down. It's the same owners, but, they must have come to the conclusion that Serbian (I think) cuisine was a hard sell in these parts. Thankfully, they have kept six authentic dishes on the menu. The rest is your typical American Italian fare - pizza, subs, pasta, burgers, meat, etc. The lasagna was $7 and came with a damn good field green salad and atrocious garlic bread made with a hot dog roll (please change that). The lasagna was also surprisingly good. I had it the next day for lunch and it held up to the microwave and night in the fridge. The pasta sheets were thin. The cheese covering seemed to be of a superior quality than most. It was more meat heavy than ricotta heavy. I can't even confirm it had any. But, I was hungover when I ate it. They have alot of reasonably priced lunches. Subs are $8. They have an interesting sounding Cevapi burger. The entrees peak at $18 (fish) and average around $14. Pizza was $8. I think they have the menu and pricing at a really attractive level. The atmosphere is a little weird. It still smacks of Eastern European gangsterism (maybe a plus). It reminded me of certain places in certain parts of certain cities where a certain type of clientele who seemingly have no day job loiter all day and night. The color scheme is still gypsy red and black. The furniture is restaurant salvage. It's a big place with two rooms. there were around twelve people there at lunch. Their happy hour starts at 3pm. They have live music on the weekends. The food took a little while to come out, but, I think it was more an issue of making it fresh than incompetence. I really hope that the reboot makes it more acceptable to the public and that will allow the more adventurous members of the community to have a chance to experience Serb cuisine.

No comments: