Monday, May 25, 2015

Grub/Pub Crawl - DeLand: Persimmon Hollow, Dally in the Alley (Closed) and Da Vinci's

I stopped here after the beach on Friday. They are all on W. Georgia Ave. in the city center.

Persimmon Hollow Brewing Company - I had one of their selections at another bar on Mills a few weeks ago. I tried a flight ($7) here to round out my knowledge. They were all good save a watery blond ale. The facility is engaging. All the metal tanks are visible behind the bar. They have a huge interior with a pool table, darts, juke box and mismatched dining tables and chairs. The staff was polite and knowledgeable. They have little, artisan snacks and you can order in from neighboring restaurants. They open at 4pm.

Dally in the Alley - Another Sentinel recommendation. I just had an app because I was stuffed from lunch and anticipated a night out in Orlando. I had the top neck clams (from Tampa) because I had never had those. The potatoes were a little raw (the chef humbly acknowledged that) and the clams a little overcooked, but, the cream and wine broth could have been a soup. I tried to soak up as much as possible with the slices of toasted baguette they included without making a spectacle of myself. The portion was more than generous. It could have been an entree. It cost $9. The menu was artful and ambitious. Things like parpadelle with a Meyer Lemon cream sauce. The chefs (3) seemed engaged, young and talented. The place is cute without being precious or derivative. It seats about forty. It's part of (Cress, De La Vega, Persimmon) what could be a new and sophisticated DeLand.

Da Vinci's - Across from Dally's. It's a saloon with a huge enclosed patio. I had one from their extensive beer selection and then headed home. I feared the police presence on a holiday weekend and the long drive back. It looks like it could be a party place. The crowd was a little salty at happy hour.

No comments: