Thursday, May 14, 2015

Crazy Eddie's, Longwood

I paid a pity call to this little Pizza and Grill today and ended up surprised. It's on N. Ronald Reagan in a mostly deserted old strip mall near that road that goes by Lake Mary High school. It was another pizza joint before, but, the new owners have been there for two years. Eddie is an Albanian via NYC. He seems to be a one man band and handles all the cooking. I had a slice of pizza and Chicken Marsala. The slice was $2, but, he gave it to me for free. It was thin. A little salty. It had a garlic flavor. The Marsala was $7 (lunch price) and came with noodles and a decent salad with plum tomatoes and cucumber in a balsamic vinaigrette. The chicken (two breasts) was smothered in mushrooms. I believe the fettuccine was actually noodles (Albanian spin) because they were too delicate to be made of semolina. Maybe I'm wrong. The dish was too salty, but, that was about all that was wrong with it. The chicken was moist. He also seemed to be giving out fresh baked bread like his life depended on it. One customer said he ate eleven pieces. They'll also smear some garlic butter on it. I had four pieces left and they packed that up for me. I'm not sure if he bakes the bread, but, it wouldn't surprise me. The guy next to me seemed to have a gorgeous calzone. That sounds gay. They also have stromboli, subs, salads, all the pasta combos and chicken made four ways. The lunch options are large and the great values. Most around $7. The place is clean inside. Eddie has the kitchen under control. He also seems like the kind of guy you want running a place like this. Gregarious. Serious. Generous. You aren't going to find a better value than this unassuming spot.

No comments: